Friday 14 February 2014

is there anyway to deal with pain?

Last night at team meeting we were talking about helping friends who seem at the bottom of a barrel.
I am aways humbled how honest people in our community are about what is going on in their lives. It's amazingly refreshing.  Often I'm left wondering what I can do to help, and often I fall short of coming up with anything that is going to make a real difference in the short term.

I also find that people who feel at the bottom of the barrel have worked hard a creating coping strategies for their pain and sadness. Some of these coping strategies are also coursing them hurt and pain, but they are also bring comfort at the same time. I know the struggle to let go of my person coping strategies, it's like that moment of swimming in the deep-end without holding onto the sides, so i don't blame people for being suspicious of letting go of the "side".  But at the same time I long for them to know there are alternatives to help them in the moments of pain and hurt. I long for people to know and more importantly experiences Jesus as comfort and support. I guess that even if I can't convince people to let go of the "side" and try letting jesus help them I can be a faithful friend reminding them that Jesus is aways another way of dealing with the pain in life.

One of the reason's liz and I go out and do little things (some would say silly things) like free hugs, paying for people's car parking and giving stuff away is that we want to challenging people that stages we have and individuals for coping with life are not he only options. there are options. God in his grace as not forgotten us and is offering us alternatives, he is here to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment